[FC] ignition bezel revisited

Paul Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Sat Mar 6 17:36:02 2004

If you don't have the correct key, there is not way to remove the lock
cylinder.  Remove the glove box and the key number should be stamped on the
side of the cylinder.  If not, then it will be found on the door lock
cylinder.  Have a locksmith or a GM dealer make a key for you by number and
remove the lock cylinder the proper way.  It is better than ruining the
ignition switch.  You could also post the number here and possibly someone
might even have that key number.  I know that I have quite a few spare number
keys that don't fit anything that I own.....
Paul in CT....
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Wild8bill@aol.com
  To: corvanatics@corvair.org
  Sent: Saturday, March 06, 2004 4:09 PM
  Subject: [FC] ignition bezel revisited

  I have taken off an ignition switch before; but I had the key that fit it.
  I'm trying to change the ignition/door locks on a rampside that I bought
that
  had no keys (hot-wired to drive home). I've been trying to pop out the
ignition
  cylinder with no results, using the key from my other van. I can feel the
  little plunger inside push back with a paperclip, and the cylinder then
rotates
  further counterclockwise, but I can't seem to pull it out; it feels like
  something is still holding it. Are there any tricks to getting it out
without having
  the right key?

  Bill