[FC] Camping and Getting Ready

Diane Galli corvanatics@corvair.org
Tue Mar 16 21:27:07 2004

Don,  we have had our Greenbrier for 14 years, and have had to do this after
periods of non-activity. I have never tried to solve the problem, just lived
with it. We got an UltraVan about 10 years ago, and it had an electric pump
(clicker) for priming. Sometimes it will go three months without starting.
It is so nice to turn on the electric pump for a minute, pump the throttle
twice, and away it goes. I have thought many times that I would do this for
the Greenbrier.  Even a clicker would serve this purpose. You could hook it
up with a switch down by the steering wheel,  and turn it on and off
manually. You may even stir me to do this tomorrow.
       If you are considering a permanent full time electric pump, I just
installed, on a Rampside, a Master E8012S electric, from Kragen for $47.00.
I have heard Autozone has a better price, but we do not have one locally.
One bad feature of this pump was the fact that it produced 8 PSI fuel
pressure at the carbs, with the pump mounted at the tank. I am not
comfortable with this, so purchased a regulator to go with it, set it at 4
1/2 PSI.
     This pump is relatively quiet as electrics go. I also installed a
pressure operated switch on the oil pressure line for safety. I took the
power for this from the ignition circuit just prior to the ballast resistor
in the wiring harness. I installed a switch at the steering wheel as a
manual override. Power for this came from under the dash
        If you just use a cheap clicker as a primer, you will not need all
this stuff

          Bob