[FC] Wheel Bearings

Charles corvanatics@corvair.org
Tue May 4 12:01:04 2004

Tim, I'm a newbie to the Corvair and I didn't think there was much
difference between the FC's. To show you how newbie I am, I'm not even
sure what the cut off point for late or early FC's . I'm guessing the
late ones are the 65's? Mine is a 63 but I believe the engine,trans and
diff. are all late.

Yesterday when I opened up the bearing, as best as I could without
taking it off the axle. The odd thing that I noticed was that the deep
side of the bearing housing  was facing in towards the diff. This runs
contrary to all of the photos in the manual.

If I attempt to swap bearing parts I'm taking them to a shop to have
them pressed out as I don't have the proper tools and these things are
too precious to mess with.

I may be in the market for one good used bearing.

Time to get to work, too bad I don't have internet access until I get
back home

regards,

Charles