[FC] Wheel Bearings

Clark Hartzel corvanatics@corvair.org
Tue May 4 13:41:01 2004

All FC's are considered early models as they have the same suspension as the
1960-64 cars with the swing axle trans.  Although the engine went to 164 CI
in 1964, it still has the early sheet metal on it.  The 1965 FC did have an
alternator on the engine but the transaxle is still like the early model.
The axle bearing does go long side in.  If you put it on backwards, your
axles would stick out too far and the brake drums won't fit.
Clark Hartzel

-----Original Message-----
From: corvanatics-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:corvanatics-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Charles
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 11:29 AM
To: corvanatics@corvair.org
Subject: [FC] Wheel Bearings

Tim, I'm a newbie to the Corvair and I didn't think there was much
difference between the FC's. To show you how newbie I am, I'm not even
sure what the cut off point for late or early FC's . I'm guessing the
late ones are the 65's? Mine is a 63 but I believe the engine,trans and
diff. are all late.

Yesterday when I opened up the bearing, as best as I could without
taking it off the axle. The odd thing that I noticed was that the deep
side of the bearing housing  was facing in towards the diff. This runs
contrary to all of the photos in the manual.

If I attempt to swap bearing parts I'm taking them to a shop to have
them pressed out as I don't have the proper tools and these things are
too precious to mess with.

I may be in the market for one good used bearing.

Time to get to work, too bad I don't have internet access until I get
back home

regards,

Charles

N2VZD@aol.com wrote:

>i am an early expert but i  THINK the bearings are all the same.  get your
>press warmed up its no fun job!!  i only did one many years ago and maybe
thats
>one more reason i swore off lates...there are other guys on here that know
ALL
>the late stuff....but i still like late engines...(putting my flame suit on
>as i run away...)
>.regards , tim colson

---