[FC] Drum and Backing Plate Contact

Clark Hartzel corvanatics@corvair.org
Fri May 21 08:42:01 2004

I've had similar problems on FC's.  I thought it was weak transmission
mounts causing the powertrain to sag down and not align properly.  The easy
fix is to pull the brake drum and put a 7/16 flatwasher on each stud.
Reinstall the drum and wheel and the rubbing stops!  Just be sure all five
washers are the same thickness or the drum/wheel will wobble.
Clark Hartzel

-----Original Message-----
From: corvanatics-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:corvanatics-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Paul Steinberg
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2004 10:27 PM
To: corvanatics@corvair.org
Subject: Re: [FC] Drum and Backing Plate Contact

It is my guess that the wheel bearing is not setting correctly or something
isn't properly aligned.  There is a slight amount of movement of the brake
drum when the rear control arm moves up and down.  GM designed it this way.
would look for a brake backing plate alignment problem first and then remove
the axle if you don't find anything there and check the bearing.  Many times
things look good until you remove them and inspect closely.  Paul in CT.