[FC] Rampside Dual Master Cylinder Conversion HELP

Dale Dewald corvanatics@corvair.org
Sat May 29 16:36:01 2004

At 08:12 AM 5/29/04 -0400, Diodato Grisi wrote:
I just received my Dual MC Conversion Kit for my '62 Rampside, through a NE
vendor. A few questions come to mind though:

Hello Diodato,

Both of our Greenbriers, '64 & '65, have dual MC conversions.  Although I
did not personally install the kits I might be able to answer some of your
questions.

1) How large a hole should be cut out of the floor pan;

We have not enlarged the hole in the floor.  Space is limited, but the
master cylinder cover can be slipped off from below to check/add
fluid.  This is much easier to do this when the vehicle is up on a lift, as
opposed to flat ground or service pit at a fast oil change shop.  If you
want access from above I would recommend that the MC be installed first
(with the cover off and the top taped over) then enlarge the hole as needed
with a pair of metal snips.

2) Is there a plug for this hole, to keep water from entering;

No, but a cover plate can be fabricated from some sheet metal.

3) I'd like to replace the hole brake line system. Are the lines,
>both hard and soft, and wheel cylinders available from local parts dealers?

The two hard lines attached to the front crossmember are available pre-bent
from Clark's.  I do not think any other FC lines are available
pre-bent.  You will have to measure the old lines and use them as patterns
for bending new ones.  A good, full service auto parts store should be able
to make up double flared straight lines in the lengths you need.  I have
been able to order wheel cylinders (or rebuild kits) from the local auto
parts store, but they were more expensive than the Corvair vendors.  I have
always bought hoses from the Corvair vendors.

4) What's the preferred brake fluid type to use?

I would use DOT 4 (glycol) or DOT 5 (silicone).  Silicone fluid is very
nice and noncorrosive but is hard to bleed properly to avoid introducing
small air bubbles and dissolved air which makes for spongy brake feel.  DOT
4 is pretty much foolproof.

  5)Any suggestions on how to do
>this conversion would be appreciated.

Read the directions fully first before starting the work.

Dale