[FC] Truck Bed Cover Panels

Clark Hartzel corvanatics@corvair.org
Tue Nov 16 20:00:02 2004

Hi Dave, on my Rampside I welded a piece of angle iron between the frame
rails to hold up the heater box.  Then cut the studs off the floor piece so
it could be easily removed by undoing the six bolts and it becomes simple to
change a starter or replace heater hoses without even jacking the vehicle
up.  Saved alot of work once when 250 miles from home on a tour a rear brake
hose sprung a leak and I had no brakes.  I unbolted the floor panel, crimped
the steel line going to the rubber hose with a pair of vice grips, added
brake fluid, and was able to finish the tour and drive home with 3-wheel
brakes.  Later replaced the steel line and discovered someone had put a
right side wheel cylinder on the left which made the hose too short and
caused it to rip off at the crimp.  Put the proper wheel cylinder on and all
was well.
Clark Hartzel

-----Original Message-----
From: corvanatics-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:corvanatics-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Dave Sanger
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 5:54 PM
To: corvanatics@corvair.org
Subject: Re: [FC] Truck Bed Cover Panels

Merv, Jim and the others who replied that I should not "seal off" the
transaxle access plate:

I decided to remove the transaxle access panel prior to the bedliner job.

Wow! What a job. I learned there are 2 bolts on the underside that hold the
heater duct assembly. I was able to lift up the access panel, by removing
the shroud on the air intake on the engine shroud, pry it up, and then
loosen the bolts.

Is there an easier way? I could not figure a way to reach the bolts from the
bottom.

Thanks,

Dave Sanger