[FC] Torn Thread

James Davis corvanatics@corvair.org
Thu Oct 14 17:05:01 2004

There are a number of ways to fix this problem.  The Corsa tech guide has
most and the Ultra Van tech tips (available on line) show how with out
disassembling the engine.  I usually remove the cylinder and use a one inch
long Helicoil.  A standard 3/8 course Helicoil kit comes with 3/4 inch long
inserts.  Clarks sells the one inch inserts to use with the kits and the
kits also.  Be sure and run a die on the course threads of the stud before
reinstalling it in the block and use red Locktite in the stud threads.
Jim Davis