[FC] Torn Thread

James Davis corvanatics@corvair.org
Thu Oct 14 21:16:01 2004

Well ok.  The best repair is with a Time-Sert.  The tool is expensive
($100) but you can rent it from Clark's.  Clark's also sells Helicoil
kits.  Well, Helicoil doesn't make spark plug kits but Clarks sells
helically wound springs kits to be used to repair spark plug holes.  They
are very difficult to install for the uninitiated. Lastly, there is a spark
plug kit sold by the FLAPS and Clarks, that is easy to install and cheap,
but it doesn't work too well in my opinion.  It is pictured on the top page
173 in the catalog.  I use a hellically wound kit but if Iwere new at it, I
would spring for the big bucks and use a Time-Sert.  If you are going to do
it, without removing the head, be sure in grease the tap with wheel bearing
grease to hold the chips.  You will have to clean and re-grease the tap
every 3 turns or so.  Besure and use Locktite on the insert, what ever kind
you chose.
Jim Davis