[FC] Clutch Fork question....

Dale Dewald corvanatics@corvair.org
Sun Oct 17 17:16:01 2004

Hello Merv,

At 01:38 PM 10/17/04 -0700, you wrote:
>The fingers of the fork go in the groove on the throwout bearing. But what
>about the springtabs on the back of the fingers.... are they supposed to be in
>the groove or on the other side of the flange on the bearing?

They should be in the groove of the bearing.

>Clear as mud?

The manuals were about that way when I looked at them 20+ years ago.

>I put the springtabs in the groove along with the fork fingers reasoning that
>it will help prevent the TO bearing from sliding back and forth. I could not
>find a picture or instructions in any of the manuals of books.

I had the same problem when I did my first clutch job on my '66 Corsa back
in 1983.  Unfortunately I put the spring outside of the groove and could
not properly adjust the clutch.  I  got more experience R & R'ing the
drivetrain.  You figured it out and did it the right way.

>Help please! Do I need to drop the drivetrain or is everything copacetic?

Your clutch should function just fine the way you assembled it.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, (UP) MI