[FC] clutch/diff

Ben's Bus corvanatics@corvair.org
Mon Sep 6 22:05:01 2004

Greetings group-

On the way home from our VW/Corvair campout (about 6 hours ago), we blew the
diff in the Greenbrier doing 65 on interstate 22/322.  A loud pop and smoke
preceded the panic stop and lots of smoke!  AAA took 1/2 hour getting the guy
to us, and his rollback was another hour away.  Several people were involved
in getting us home and the van to Corvair Ranch.  We are GLAD to be here
finally!

In my humor, I say, "it needed a clutch anyway!"  and it did.  Here is my
query, and please be patient.  I know it's been asked before because I asked
it.

What are the absolute best, tried and true clutch components needed to
eliminate almost completely the dreaded clutch chatter problem in FCs?  I have
heard words like "vega" and others tossed around.  Anyway, when Jeff's crew
fixes the diff, cleans up the engine compartment and puts in a new clutch, I
want no more clutch chatter.  What is the right combination?????  Please
respond if you can!

Ben Stiles