[FC] FC Fuel tank

Paul Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Sun Sep 12 22:07:00 2004

I was told a long time ago that if you drill a 1/16" hole in the float and
drain out the gas, that you can resolder the hole closed and it will be fixed.
You will also need to resolder the original seam on the float.  The hole is to
drain the gas out before you put heat to the float.  Just put a little soapy
water into the float and drain a few times first.  Submerge it in a bowl to
get the water in and shake to get it out.  Better and less expensive than a
new tank.  Paul in ct

----- Original Message -----
  From: Vic
  To: corvanatics@corvair.org
  Sent: Sunday, September 12, 2004 8:21 PM
  Subject: [FC] FC Fuel tank

  I just removed the fuel tank from my Rampside. Whew! That went ok only
because
  I have a lift I could run it onto and get to things easily. Mine came out
  because the fuel sender unit quit working and as I suspected, the float was
  filled with gasoline. My question is- - -  has anyone put any other tank in
an
  FC? I'm thinking of purchasing some kind of tank to mount in the bed of the
FC
  and the put in a "new" false floor of diamond plate steel or aluminum over
it.
  The additional space under there could either be for tools or the spare
tire.
  Any ideas or suggestions?
  Thanks
  Vic Howard
  Pres. Vegas Vairs
  owner: 61 Rampside, 110, 4 spd
              66 Monza coupe, 140, AT,AC,Telewheel and much more