[FC] Re: PANEL BONDING GLUES

Sat Sep 18 21:27:00 2004

In a message dated 9/18/2004 7:27:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
corvanatics-request@corvair.org writes:

> I'm concerned about distortion where the patch
> overlaps the old metal on the top.  I'm also considering pop-riveting along
> the top.

   Ive heard of folks using this with good success,however if it were me I
would have to think long and hard about what I was expecting from the outcome.
If you are looking for perfection I dont think it would be the way to go since
the surfaces wont be the same afterwards since you are covering over one with
another, so there will be two different surface levels to be dealt with.
       As far as distortion from welding if you do it by tack welding in
stages and allowing the area to cool between welding you shoudnt get
distortion.
Its usually when you weld a continuos line without the metal having a chance
cool that you get the distortion.
       I would definitely stay away from pop rivets if possible since you can
usually find them popping out later on as the paint job ages. If its just a
daily driver that you arent that concerned about then just do it the way thats
easiest for you. Its generally when you get into the nicer paint jobs that you
want to be more concerned about what type body repair methods you use.
Personally I prefer to cut out the bad metal completly and weld in new. You
know
that will be solid and last a long time provided its done right.

                                                       Tim in Ky
                                                Econo USA Parts
                                 Your used 61-67 Econoline parts source
                               Constantly parting out E100 vans and trucks
                                            A100 parts also available

                                                  Ebay Falcon1966