[FC] Identification of a part

Hyosilver at aol.com Hyosilver at aol.com
Thu Aug 11 03:18:25 EDT 2005

I agree with JR.  The longer pin is on the tailgate latch, and each is either
left or right, thus four different parts.

I just finished totally refurbishing/rebuilding my four latches.  They were
badly rusted, pitted and scratched.  I drilled out the rivet; drilled and
tapped the handles; had the handles and plates rechromed; cleaned up, straightened
and tightened rivets on the mechanisms; and reassembled with machine screws
and lock washers.  They are now working fine and look great.  The rechroming
cost me $30 each for the plates and $45 each for the handles (more because they
are pot metal) thus $75 plus machine screws for each latch.

Regarding the latch that won't unlatch, I wonder if it is a tailgate latch on
the ramp?

Regarding the latch that won't hold, I wonder if the spring is weak/broken?
If not, and it is close to catching, try shimming the part on the body that
the latch pin hooks behind so that it sits farther toward the latch pin and
catches.

Larry Hickerson
Albuquerque