[FC] Tranny Spitting

VairMech at aol.com VairMech at aol.com
Fri Dec 2 23:13:03 EST 2005

In a message dated 12/2/2005 12:16:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
N2VZD at aol.com writes:

the
powerglide in my truck has been spitting fluid out of that vent again.  thats
2 or
more converters , and 2 trannys. i have to be doing something  very stupid. i
think i may try a car trans without the  cooler.

    Hey Tim,
    What I have found when the tranny's do that is, it  is usually a bad
torque converter. Here is a tech tip for you and everyone.
    With the torque converter removed set it so the  open end is up. I use a
snout from an automatic differential that I have  removed and I insert it into
the converter. You then spin the snout with  some force in one direction. It
will either feel like it slips real easy or  it may feel like you are turning
the inside of the converter. Now turn the snout  the other way, it should do
just the opposite of what happened the first  time.
    IF, it feels like you are turning the inside of the  torque converter
both ways, go look for another, that one is bad.
    Now the explanation, there is an overrunning clutch  inside that you are
working. How this works is like a starter drive. The gear on  the end will
spin in one direction but turn the whole starter in the other  direction, That is
an overrunning clutch.
    Ken Hand