[FC] brake lines

Western Canada CORSA westerncanadacorsa at shaw.ca
Thu Dec 15 13:31:08 EST 2005

1) Clamp the line in the jaws of the tool

1b) The line should protrude above the jaws the thickness of the base
(widest part) of the double flaring die appropriate for the dia. of tube
you're flaring.  What I'm calling the "double flaring die" is the piece that
looks like a small top.

2) It is essential that the cut of the line be absolutely square, and that
you clamp the line in the jaws straight up as well.

2b) Most kits have a cutting tool with a screwdriver type handle you should
use at this point to remove any burrs on the ID of the line.

3) Fix the "pusher" (u-shaped thingy with the threaded rod & cone assembly)
around the clamp.  Drop the double flaring die into the line and use the
pusher to make your initial single flare.

4) Remove the die, and just thread down the cone of the pusher to get the
second half of your flare.

Steps 1b) and 2) are critical to the success of a good flare.

Hope this helps, I'm working out of my head as my double flaring kit is
packed away somewhere.

Regards,
Joel