[FC] Water Holding Under Greenbrier Rain Gutter

Paul Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Thu Feb 17 22:50:03 2005

If the seam is on the top, then it will need to be sealed from the top.
Trying to seal it from the underneath might work to stop the leak for a while,
but the metal will continue to rust until it is repaired correctly.  I believe
that the final roof panel is glued down to the rest of the substructure and
that the glue that GM used is possibly now deteriorating.  Paul in CT
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Mikeamauro@aol.com
  To: corvanatics@corvair.org ; virtualvairs@corvair.org
  Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 9:13 PM
  Subject: [FC] Water Holding Under Greenbrier Rain Gutter

  I asked this question several months ago, got no responses, so here goes
  again...
  There is a seam under the rain gutter, where the gutter meets the roof edge,
  where water tends to "reside"; the seam is between 1/16-to-1/32 inch wide.
  I've noticed the tendency of the sheet metal to rust in the vicinity of the
seam.
  Has anyone ventured to caulk the seam, preventing water entry? It would seem
  (not seam), that as long as the gutter is sound, and water cannot find its
way
  into the seam from above, that closing the seam below would be a good idea.
  Would much appreciate hearing any thoughts or experiences on this topic.
  Thanks,
  Mike Mauro
  64 Greenbrier Deluxe and other Vairs.