[FC] here's smoke in your eyes

Clark Hartzel corvanatics@corvair.org
Fri Feb 18 17:36:02 EST 2005

My vote is fix the existing engine first.  It might save you money!  Oil
should not be blowing out the filler pipe.  Put a better gasket on the cap
or bend the tangs on the cap to tighten it up.  Check to see that the vent
tube is not clogged up.  Run a drain snake down it!  If all else fails run a
rubber hose from the vent tube down thru the side seal on the head and point
it out the back of the vehicle.  O-rings are replaceable without removing
the engine but other things can leak too, like the top cover gaskets, oil
filter adapter housing gasket, valve cover gaskets, even the filter could be
loose!
Clark Hartzel

-----Original Message-----
From: corvanatics-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:corvanatics-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Ben's Bus
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 5:05 PM
To: corvanatics@corvair.org
Subject: [FC] here's smoke in your eyes

Hey guys and gals-

I have been getting burnt oil smell in my heat and some gray smoke comes in
through the heating vents.  Also, the oil is blowing out the top filler
tube.
The last time my van was in the shop they told me the blow by is getting
worse
and the oil is leaking everywhere.  It was used when I got it.

Anyway, what are the chances that replacing the Vitons will take care of the
burnt oil smell (burning on the manifold), and the smoke problem?  I have a
good lead on a rebuilt 110 engine and a great installation price quoted.
Would it be smarter to get the rebuilt or fix the smoker??

Thanks!   Ben

--