[FC] Just a few questions

Sun Jan 23 10:57:00 2005

In a message dated 1/23/2005 10:33:23 AM Eastern Standard Time,
smorehead@lycos.com writes:
I'm getting ready to do a few changes to the drivetrain of my rampside and
have recently read and spoken to some folks that have prompted additional
questions.

I was going to install an automatic with a stall torque converter and a 110hp
with 060 pistons, otto cam and other mods.  I heard, with the 060 pistons I
WILL run into cooling problems?  Anyone else have troubles of this nature in an
FC.

Will I need to make any changes to the motor mount when putting in a 110hp,
perhaps use the 110 motor mount and drill and thread additional mounting holes
or ?

If I decide to keep the manual tranny and install the 110hp will the same
input shaft work or will I need another donor shaft.

Any differences in the tranny and rearend of a 61 and a 64 FC (64 being
better)?

    The first issue, is not JUST .060 pistons that cause overheating. If you
fully deflash the heads and do just a little exhaust port work you will have
done 75% of what can be done to help overheating, and the exhaust port work
will make most any cam work better for more power. Also, if you do go with the
auto and a stall converter, don't go real wild on the stall converter as your
mileage will suffer.
    The only reason to change the rear engine mount is to clear the Harmonic
balancer, that can be done by putting washers between the mount and the rear
housing. You just need room to get the belt through there. If you want the
correct mount, then all you need is any early AC car mount or a 64,110 mount. The
only problem I can see with that is you may not have enough adjustment in the
slot.
    If you put the 110 engine to the original trans and diff, it will work.
The 64-65 4 speed trans is better as far as the gear strength and syncro's. The
diff internals are pretty much the same. The 64-65 trans does take a larger
input shaft and a different seal at the throw out bearing collar.

    I think I answered all the questions.
    Ken(trying to keep warm)Hand