[FC] FC clutch

Western Canada CORSA westerncanadacorsa at shaw.ca
Wed Jul 20 09:40:15 EDT 2005

Hey Charles,

There are really only two sources for a leak onto the clutch, the snout seal
on the diff, and the front main seal on the motor.  And, oh yeah, there are
some bolts holding the bellhousing on that can leak oil as well.  These
seals and a tube of RTV will probably cost you less than $20 bucks, plus a
new clutch.  Oh yeah, you'll need the bellhousing to block paper seal as
well, and a new oil pan gasket 'cause you'll have to drain the oil, and
break the pan seal when you're taking the bellhousing off.

Changing them really isn't that difficult on an FC.  The only special tools
you'll need is a torque wrench, which you can probably get on the loaner
program from Crappy Tire.  Plus you'll want to construct the engine tray
thingy as outlined in Richard Finch's "How To Keep Your Corvair Alive".

With a second set of hands for help and moral support, you can probably have
the whole job done in 6 hours on your first go.

Regards,
Joel