[FC] Re: Corvanatics Digest, Vol 6, Issue 17

WARD2WAYNE at aol.com WARD2WAYNE at aol.com
Wed Jul 20 22:20:40 EDT 2005

Hi all
I'm having a rough day and hope I can get advice that will either make me
feel better or just finish it off.  This A.M. I  was driving my 61  Rampside to
work.  I hadn't driven it for a week
because weather was great and I drove my 66 Monza convert instead.   Anyway I
used the
choke to start the rampy and slowly kept backing off as I drove to  work.
3/4 of the
way I heard a bang and looked in my rearview mirror to see flames across  the
back.
I didn;t have my cell phone and did a 100 yard dash to a corner fire alarm
box.  When I
got back to the truck the paint was blistering off the sides and  smoke was
pouring from the
air intake vents on the sides.  Needless to say the entire top of the  motor
was burned
bare of any rubber, plastic and anything that would burn by the time a fire
engine arrived.
I took off the engine panel after it had cooled off as well as the  panel
over the transmission
everything stopped inside the firewall. The outside of the body  looked  very
good before
 the fire and the engine only had 54,000 miles without a knock or  ping and
not smoke
whatsoever.  The cab had some rust problems just behind the wheel  wells.  I
know it
will need a paint job but have no idea what replacement for electrical  (plug
wires, ?  generator. coil, distributor and etc. Has anyone run   into this
and will I have to let go
of a truck I bought 2 years ago. after wanted one since I some my first
rampside 44
years ago?  I have a good mechanic but don't know if he will want  to tackle
this job
Wayne Nickel
61 rampside (old smoky)
66 monza convert