[FC] Re: Corvanatics Digest, Vol 6, Issue 17

Paul Steinberg noahsarkinc at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 20 22:30:58 EDT 2005

I used to do a lot of fire restoration and it isn't as bad as it first appears.  Replacement wire harnesses are available from the Corvair vendors.  Once you remove the drive line from the truck then comes the clean up of the rear body.  Just make sure that you clean the metal totally and remove all traces of the old paint, caulk, etc.  New paint doesn't like fire ravaged metal, so the metal must be squeaky clean of any fire residue or the new paint will just peal off in a year or two.  I used to use paint stripper and then sand blast the metal with walnut shells to finish up the cleaning.  Then I would use Dupont Metal Prep on the bare metal and use a zinc chromate self etching primer over the bare metal.  Then a primer sealer and topcoat.  It takes time, but it is worth it in the end.
As for the engine, just strip everything off and do a reseal on the block.  Replacement sheet metal is usually very available and reasonably priced, so I wouldn't bother with the old burned metal.  Rebuilt generator, carbs, distributor, etc. are all in order.  You are luckier than most..... If the fire had gotten into the cab, then there would be no rebuilding of the  truck.
Did you have fire insurance on the vehicle????? If so, keep a detailed record of costs to get reimbursed from the insurance company... good luck, and in the end you will have a restored truck.... Paul in CT....