[FC] STarting out for Portland on Saturday....

Western Canada CORSA westerncanadacorsa at shaw.ca
Sat Jul 23 12:13:14 EDT 2005

Merv,

I'll have to second Shaun on this one.  We used to set the valves "hot", but
after reading the proceedure for setting them "cold" in Bob Helt's "The
Classic Corvair" I decided to give it a shot.  I've done it three times now,
and the first two times I almost didn't wait long enough before deciding I
was going to have to redo them "hot".  I set the valves as per the
instructions, then ran the engine to wait for the clatter to go away.  After
15 mintues the ticking still wasn't gone, so I shut it off, jacked it up,
rotated the exhaust out of the way, put on the 'ol half cover and then
started it up again.  I got out my mechanics stethescope and started
listening to each valve to find which one was ticking..... and nothing! They
all sounded the same.  Sure enough, the time it took to get it up in the air
and set up for a "hot" adjustment was what it needed to get that last lifter
pumped up.  Not able to learn my lesson the first time around, I had the
same thing happen the second time I set valves "cold" on Agnes's motor.
Once you know how it's done, and you learn the hard way to be patient,
setting them "cold" beats "hot" hands down.  Also, have you tried some
Rislone or Marvel's Mystery Oil to help clean out a potentially gummed up
lifter on #4?

Regards,
Joel