[FC] Re; Back-Up Lamps

Paul Steinberg noahsarkinc at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 16 07:19:57 EST 2005

All Corvair powerglides used the same lever mechanism with the backup light switch built into them.  The 3 speed used a switch mounted on the shifter rod and the 4 speed used a switch that was screwed into a hole in the bottom of the transmission.  I believe that most, if not all the 4 speed transmissions were drilled and have a plug installed if the switch wasn't installed.  GM did sell a 4" round back up light for the FC as an accessory.  The instructions were to drill a 4" round hole in the rear of the quarter panel and insert the lamp housing.  It was also used on other trucks of the era.  I found this information once when researching some other parts in one of the parts books.
Paul in CT...