[FC] Oil Cooler

Greenbrier Goon greenbriergoon at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 25 23:06:17 EST 2005

Well, I should give a little background.

Back when my van still had the Powerglide, It had a big Mazda RX7 oil cooler mounted ahead of the transmission.  I put it there because the engine consistantly ran high oil temperatures. My gauge only reads up to 250F and it would easily peg the guage.  If I removed the lower shrouds, it would read about 225 aroud town and 240 on the highway.  The Mazda cooler brought it down to 180 to 200 around town and on the freeway.  I had that cooler on there for 7 years.

When I converted it to a four speed I discovered that the Mazda cooler was in the way of the shift linkage.  I removed it and installed an un-modified alternator adaptor and things were near stock at that point.

Now the oil temp started climbing again.  Without the shrouds I am seeing about 220F around town.  I have not driven it on the freeway yet.

That is why I have installed a remote oil cooler.  I have not driven it around yet, but I expect to see lower oil temps as a result.

The new remote cooler did not require any holes to be drilled or cut (unlike the RX7 cooler...still need to plug those holes).  I am using an A/C car 90 degree adaptor, a spin-on filter adaptor on that, a "sandwich" adaptor on that and then the filter spins onto the end.  The oil cooler is mounted on bracket I made that fits where the old Powerglide cooler used to be; next to the battery.

I also removed the left side rear panel and removed the sound deadening material that had come loose and blocked a few of the air inlets.

One thing I have noticed over the years is that the oil temperature does not seem to be affected by the amount of load the van is carrying.  I have had 8 heavy people in there and it stays the same as it does when it is just me.

I had rebuilt the engine in my Greenbrier myself and used all of the best parts available at the time.  Having owned several air-cooled Volkswagens over the years, I am very familiar with air-cooled engines.  I currently have a 2110cc engine in my Bug that consistantly runs an oil temp of 190 to 200F with a stock VW "doghouse" oil cooler.

Charles

J R Read_HML <hmlinc at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Maybe I missed something. Why do you feel like you need it in the first
place? Doing a lot of towing? Carrying heavy loads all the time? What
engine? 80hp? 110?

Would a 12 plate or folded fin NOT be sufficient?

Later, JR

Greenbrier World:
http://www.c-zone.net/northgte/greenbrier.htm