[FC] Oil Cooler

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 26 01:20:52 EST 2005

I've never had an oil temp gauge, but have driven a few Vairs (my truck has
a Spyder dash) with head temp.  Head temp typically is in the range of 250
to 350 (on ALL Vairs that I've driven having that gauge) and generally stays
between 275 and 300 (this is shrouds on) at highway speeds.  It would seem
that oil temp would be something a bit less - but I don't know just where it
should be.  It would probably approach head temp - but just take a bit
longer to get there.

Where in the system are you measuring the oil temp?  Are you possibly
picking up a false reading by being too close to something that is VERY hot?
Or, try a different sending unit and/or gauge (only change out one at a time
and check results) to see if your current setup is just inherently reading
on the high side.

Gauges and sending units are not all the same.  Get used to what is normal
for your vehicle and be comfortable with it.  The gauge is there for you to
notice something out of the ordinary happening.  The number that the needle
comes to rest on is only SOMEWHAT significant because it probably is not
precise, anyway.

You did not answer about a 12 plate (OR folded fin) cooler.  That MAY be all
you need to do.  That, and use synthetic oil which can tolerate higher temps
than dino juice.  Give it a try.  It would be the quickest, easiest, and
probably least expensive thing to do.  Someone else on the list can give you
the #s about how hot dino juice can get VS synthetic.  I've seen them posted
in the past on VV but did not pay all that much attention since I go to
synthetic as soon as a fresh engine quits using.

You also did not say which engine.  Obviously a 140 will run hotter than an
80.  So that is a factor as well.

Later, JR