[FC] Rocker gasket and pan gasket sealing

VairMech at aol.com VairMech at aol.com
Sun May 15 18:25:37 EDT 2005

In a message dated 5/15/2005 5:11:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
scwilson8126 at wowway.com writes:

I'm  replacing the valve cover and oil pan gaskets (cork/rubber  material).

Is there any consensus on whether or not to use a gasket  sealer?

If so, Permatex, Silicone or other?

    I am sure there are a hundred answers out there but  here is what I do,
The rocker gaskets I use nothing, the pan gasket is a  different story. Make
sure you take a ball peen hammer to the holes and bang  them away from the
gasket to sort of form a dimple, then with everything very  dry and very clean I
silicone the gasket on the pan and I throw a thin film on  the gasket that goes
against the block. the next step is to snug the bolts but  not tighten, yet.
You want the pan really snug against block but not enough  to squeeze the
gasket out. Leave it alone after that and do something else.  Come back the next
day or very late in the same day, then you can tighten down  the bolts. Use a
nut driver on a screwdriver handle and finish tightening  the bolts.
    As long as you used discretion on the final  tightening you should be
done.
    Ken Hand