[FC] RE: Very noisy lifters first startup... help!

Western Canada CORSA westerncanadacorsa at shaw.ca
Sun May 15 22:10:15 EDT 2005

Merv,

I followed Bob's directions for setting the valves cold on my last cylinder
head change.  Remembering the last time I saw Rob do it I knew patience was
the key.  So I had some of my bad habit and waited for the offending lifters
to quieten down.  When I ran out of patience I jacked the car up, rotated my
trombone exhaust out of the way and took off the valve cover and put on the
half cover.  When I started it up they all sounded equally noisey, double
checked them with my Mechanics Stethescope, and sure enough, in the time it
took me to jack the car up and get at the valves the offending lifters had
pumped themselves up.

A "friend" and I had a "cold" vs. "hot" valve adjustment contest on Agnes's
motor.  Wanna guess who won?<BFG>  Cold RULES!

If the lifters were fine before you started working on it, I doubt a lifter
collapsed in the interm.  Like all the other posters have said.  Patience
Grasshopper!

Regards,
Joel