[FC] Very noisy lifters first startup... twenty minutes later...

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sun May 15 19:52:13 EDT 2005

In a message dated 5/15/05 4:43:27 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
krupross at sunwave.net writes:

> When I pulled the pan off, it was
> mired in grey sludge which was probably a PTFE engine gunk of some sort.
> Would that stuff keep lifters quiet? I would think doubtful, but if it got
> stuck in the lifters, it may explain why a couple of lifters are gifted
> noise makers now ...???

Merv,
The gray stuff is lead from ethyl gasoline, and no, it has nothing to do with
lifters. I'd suggest a 50 mile drive at 35-50 mph with good clean oil and
filter. Allow the engine to get up to normal temps. The lifters should quiet down
after that.
Regards,
Bob Helt