[FC] '66 140 Monza Coupe FS - IL

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 25 21:07:55 EDT 2005

My nephew who lives in Arizona has come to the conclusion that he needs to
let his coupe go.  He's not had a lot of drive time on it over the past two
years or so.  Just on those occasions where he comes back to IL for a visit,
wedding, what have you.

He is in AZ - the car is in IL - in his Mom's garage.  To contact him (Jon
Read) directly, the email is: jonfread at cox.net

What I can tell you off the top of my head...and you would need to verify my
comments with him.

Was taken to bare metal about 6 (or so) yrs back.  Paint is "Dark Cherry
Metallic" - a '96 Impala color.  Quite pretty.

I'd call it about a class 3 car (or very close) as it sits today.  The
interior (black) probably needs some (not a lot) of attention and the radio
is missing.  The tabs are bent down as there was a non-stock radio in the
car.  But, if you want to go stock, the tabs have not been cut off.  It has
a Corsa dash (it is a Monza) with a (very recently) non-working speedo.  In
fact, it broke when I was driving it and probably has less than 100 miles
since that happened.  I had to "steal" it out of his Mom's garage in order
to get home one night when my Rampy broke down in her area.

The engine is a 140 - strong running, but you will have to get details from
him about any work that might have been done and if it has any oil
consumption or not.  Exhaust are those long chrome pipes that come straight
out the back.

Jon (and his Dad - my brother, now deceased) did a lot of work on this car.
My brother was a mechanical engineer and worked with engines a good deal of
time.  VWs, airplanes, other "stuff", so I feel he knew what he was doing
around air cooled engines.

Tires?  Relatively new, but I don't know details.  Contact him direct with
any question.

Later, JR
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140 ( X 2 temporarily)
'66 beater Coupe - icemobile 4/140 (1/2 ownership)