[FC] More ? for the masters; 90 weight leak

Rad Davis rad.davis at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 8 11:59:55 EST 2005

While assisting Charlie O'Hare with a recent clutch replacement in his '65
Greenbrier, I noted that the replacement diff snout split ring a vendor had
sent was actually pressed with the hole out of center relative to the
outside diameter.  I looked carefully at it and recommended that Charlie
use the old (un-worn, in this case) split ring.  The thick part of the ring
looked like it might rub too easily against the input shaft, possibly
scoring it.

I suppose GM's vendor just didn't do a lot of QC on what was, after all, a
non-structural part.

My reason for mentioning this is that automatically replacing the split
ring may not always be a good idea.  In this case, at least, the old part
was superior.  Perhaps better advice would be to examine the split ring for
wear or damage, clean as appropriate, and reinstall if OK.

-Rad Davis