[FC] Clutch linkage - early vs. late

Rad Davis rad.davis at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 14 11:57:32 EST 2005

Ah, clamp, part #4.  I spent an entertaining afternoon under my brier about
five years ago with that.  Had the van jacked up on one side and the left
front wheel off to allow stringing the new clutch cable.

In my case, I found that the original cable I was replacing had started to
break strands and stretch, also rapidly abrading away the nylon
liner.  This caused the cable to grow longer while the sheath stayed the
same length, resulting in a a too-long cable.

Replacing the cable with a good used part (thanks, Dad) fixed the problem.

I also carefully turned the cable itself through 180 degrees as I installed
it, so that the worn parts on the sheath would not be abraded by the cable
as they had been in prior decades.

Now that improved replacement cables are available, I'd definitely go that
route instead of getting used or NOS on anything but a show FC.  GM didn't
exactly break the bank on the cable design-a rubber outer sheath would have
helped with the water ingress problem I had that resulted in strand failure.

-Rad