[FC] key barrel

Paul Steinberg noahsarkinc at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 3 22:08:48 EDT 2005

I have tried to make a replacement set, however the cuts are so precise that they usually don't duplicate well.  There are 67 keys in the set to give you an idea of how close each cut is to the next.  I originally had a 6 key set that worked perfectly every time, however I loaned it to someone and it never came back.  I tried to duplicate that set and was never able to get the keys to work as well as the originals.  The locksmith that I got my original set from told me that the factory made them on a special machine that would cut the highs and lows on a 1/2 + - cutter and that is why they work.  They are splitting the differences in the highs and lows of the tumblers and "fooling" the cylinder into believing the key is correct.  This is the reason that trying to cut a duplicate key doesn't work well.  It is like making a copy of a copy of a copy.  Second and third generation keys work sometimes, but not all times.  I also have a key cutter that I can cut the original key from number once I get the cylinder out.   Hope that this explanation is clear.   Paul in CT