[FC] Wheel Bearing Greasing Update

hauppauge21 at comcast.net hauppauge21 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 13 12:36:19 EDT 2005

As per previous suggestions the more time consuming the better the work. With some PB Blaster soaking overnight, a heat gun and two screwdrivers, I was able to remove the spline side shield (inner housing)from the axle bearing. Some light drilling and a punch easily removed the retaining rivets from the bearing housing. The inner housing came off easily. I cleaned-up most of the grease with Q-Tips and paper towels. I'm going to clean everything off with some brake cleaner. The bearings are still pressed onto the axle shaft.
Can I do the regreaseing with the bearings in place? Since the outer bearing (the race near the wheel hub)can't be freed from the housing do I just pinpoint spray cleaner and use a needle to regrease this bearing?
I'm going to reassemble with hardware and use Blue Locktite. Did I miss anything?

THANKS
Especially, for everyones previous responses!!!

Dio