[FC] Wheel Bearing Greasing Update

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Thu Oct 13 21:14:09 EDT 2005

Hello there,

Comments in text;

At 04:36 PM 10/13/05 +0000, Dio wrote:
>As per previous suggestions the more time consuming the better the work.
>With some PB Blaster soaking overnight, a heat gun and two screwdrivers, I
>was able to remove the spline side shield (inner housing)from the axle
>bearing. Some light drilling and a punch easily removed the retaining
>rivets from the bearing housing. The inner housing came off easily. I
>cleaned-up most of the grease with Q-Tips and paper towels. I'm going to
>clean everything off with some brake cleaner.

So far so good.

>  The bearings are still pressed onto the axle shaft.
>Can I do the regreaseing with the bearings in place?

Yes, the bearings have a heavy press fit to the axle shaft.  They will
often get damaged or destroyed if removed [using a big press].

>  Since the outer bearing (the race near the wheel hub)can't be freed from
> the housing do I just pinpoint spray cleaner and use a needle to regrease
> this bearing?

Yes.

>I'm going to reassemble with hardware and use Blue Locktite.

There is no need for the Locktite.  The bearing shells are firmly held
together by the 4 mounting studs/nuts on the A-arm.  I like to use a couple
of 3/16" aluminum pop rivets to hold the shells together until the axle is
reassembled in the vehicle.  These (like your small screws) can easily be
removed the next time the bearings are due to be greased.

>  Did I miss anything?

A couple of don't:
 >> Don't dry the bearings with compressed air allowing them to spin. If
you must blow dry them, be sure to press on the race cages to keep the
rollers from spinning.
 >> Don't overfill the bearing with grease.  I recall reading in a service
manual that the space in the bearings should be about 60% filled with
grease.  If packed full, the grease will be expelled from the seals once
the bearing warms up and it will end up on the brake linings.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, (UP) MI