[FC] Bearing REGREASE THANKS

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Sat Oct 15 12:43:26 EDT 2005

Hello Paul,

I agree with everything you state here except for the single MC--in
particular with EM's and FC's.  It does not have to do with failure of any
brake components, but of failure of a rear wheel bearing.  The rear axles
of FC's and EM's are only held in place by the press fit of the rear
bearing. If it were to seize and spin, the axle will walk out of the
bearing, taking the brake drum with it.  Once clear of the brake shoes, the
vehicle would have no brakes with a single master cylinder.  The parking
brake would likewise become ineffective.

Both of my parts FC's and our '65 Greenbrier have evidence of failed
bearings.  In each case the opening where the axle passes through the A-arm
(on one side or the other) is mangled where the axle yoke tried to pass
through after the axle came loose from the bearing.  I suppose if the yoke
jammed in the A-arm it would suddenly become a one wheel brake, but I would
not want to stop that way...

BTW, each of the axles associated with a mangled A-arm had almost new
bearings installed on them...

Dale Dewald
Hancock, (UP) MI