[FC] Clutch linkage - early vs. late

Rad Davis rad.davis at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 22 23:44:36 EDT 2005

Kent,

I have walked down that particular road:

When my father gave me the Twinki 15 odd years ago, it was fully
functional, but some of the parts were an interesting mixture.

Dad's only prior FC experience was with his '61 rampside.  Lots of the
late-model-specific parts were missing from Twinki when he got it, so he
substituted the commoner early parts and some creative fabrication as
necessary.

The clutch linkage was mostly early FC, with a custom pull-rod (don't have
my manual handy for the proper name - I mean the threaded part with the
clevis pin hole on the other end that goes into the bellhousing) made from
a straigtened car part.  The return spring "extension" was a piece of
carefully-formed coathanger wire made to match the one on the Rampside.  It
had the cable bracket on the transmission crossmember (even though it had
the correct crossmember with the hole), and an NOS early pivot arm assembly
he'd gotten somewhere.

I really didn't like the way the clutch worked.  As it happened, he had the
wrong mixture of clutch parts resulting in a too-long clutch release
travel, but I didn't know that until I took everything apart and measured,
eventually converting to the late car/late FC clutch, release fork, and
fork pivot ball.  I also didn't like that the clutch cable and linkage
stuck down so far.  I had to pick shreds of grass out of the assembly on
more than one occasion after parking on turf.

I lucked into all the right linkage parts (and a bunch of other detail
parts) on a '64 GB Deluxe Jerry McKenzie and I parted out in the mid
'90s.  Luckily, the parts van had almost all the odd parts the 63-65 vans
came with.  Also luckily, Jerry had a '61, so didn't want any of them.  I
didn't know that the Z-shaped bracket was so rare.  It would be trivial to
reproduce.  I also didn't know that the late dust cap wasn't properly
documented.  It would indeed be a real challenge to get everything together
without that special tab for the cable return spring.  I suspect that the
late dust cap could also be done as a cottage reproduction given a supply
of early/car dust caps.

My best guess about the early "extension" and that funny long L-bracket tab
on the dust cap is that the spring was used on something that was a lot
more common than FC corvairs.  Perhaps Chevy truck clutch return springs of
the era?  An interchange manual of the era and the spring part number might
be helpful.

As for why GM did it that way, I've always had the feeling that the first
design mechanism was made to minimize investment in custom parts.  It
certainly isn't a rational design given a clean slate.  The transmission
cross member is the same as the early car part.  The spring looks like it
was sourced somewhere else as well.  It may well be that the second design
was really the original design but was shelved because of the retool cost
of adding that hole in the transmission cross member.

-- Rad