[FC] Clutch linkage - early vs. late

Bill Meglen tirediron at charter.net
Sun Oct 23 03:05:40 EDT 2005

Years ago in San Diego I replaced the clutch, pressure plate and throw
out bearing on a 1961 Greenbrier. Put the power train back in found
insufficient adjustment, clutch inoperative, pulled it out suspecting
that the problem was with replaced parts, their combination or my
assembly.  A SDCC club member had a cutaway  bellhousing to observe
clutch action. Put it on the power train out of the vehicle it and the
clutch seemed to function properly, Engine back in FC, same problem.
Crawled underneath another FC in his "boneyard" and saw a simple "bell
crank" connected to that clutch cable not present on my FC. Removed it
put it on my FC (there was already a hole in the underbody for it,
although it was not present in my pre-replacement functioning clutch
mechanism.  Voila!  It worked. Never figured out which replaced clutch
part changed the geometry (length of clutch cable) and don't recall the
vintage of the donor FC.

Bill