[FC] compression check

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Tue Sep 27 01:42:02 EDT 2005

In a message dated 9/26/05 10:14:59 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
lumppytom at hotmail.com writes:

> I used a Proto hand held compression gauge to check and did each hole at
> least twice with the same readings and the carbs were off when I ran the check.
> I got about a teaspoon of oil ( 3 squirts ) in each cylinder to do the ring
> check.
> As a side note I have good spark and have static timed it but no luck
> getting it fire up There is gas to the carbs but no luck.  my next test is to take
> a known good set of carbs and swap them.

A couple of things.......
When taking a compression reading, you can feel and see the actual
compression strokes. So how many compression strokes are you registering?  What reading
did you get on the FIRST compression stroke for each cyl?

Check that your points are in good shape. The contacts tend to corrode and
develop a high resistance.

Before you change carbs, drop a couple of teaspoons of gas down each carb and
see if it fires on that amount of gas.
Regards,
Bob Helt