[FC] Rear wheel bearing?

VairMech at aol.com VairMech at aol.com
Thu Apr 6 18:38:26 EDT 2006

In a message dated 4/6/2006 11:05:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Sam_Russell at trekbikes.com writes:

I took a  really good look at it and one roller on the inner bearing has
pits (no  rust or discoloration, just pits). The rest

of the bearing looks great.  Should I lose sleep over this or just keep
my eyes pealed for a better one  in the future?

Can I replace that one roller? I was half considering  driving the old
girl to the convention, what should I do? Thanks in

    You can replace that one roller with a good used  one. Also you want to
look at the inner race(s) and see what wear there is  there. One side will be
more than the other. Take the side with the least wear  and make sure it goes
to the outer direction. Then you want to look closely at  the outer races and
you will see that 1/2 has more wear than the other half.  Make sure that you
put the good 1/2 to the top of the bearing. OH, make sure  that you put the shim
in first. Put a thin film of AMSOIL synthetic grease on  the race and use
AMSOIL synthetic grease for the assembly of the bearings. Use  plenty of grease
around the bearing cages but DO NOT pack the bearing full.  Slide the last race
in using the aforementioned procedure. Install the snap ring  If you have
that style or rerivit the halves together.
    That should give you a good bearing to use  whenever. If you are going to
store it, put it in a ziplock bag with the date  that you did the regrease.

    Ken Hand