[FC] that @#%$ seat

Rad Davis rad.davis at comcast.net
Mon Aug 7 22:52:31 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I was taking the middle seat out of my '65 Greenbrier tonight.  I think
that of all the things about my Greenbrier, installing and removing the
middle seat the one I dislike the most.

The fitment I have involves four carriage bolts and four wing nuts with
assorted washers.  Getting the heads of the bolts, all of which want to go
different directions at the same time, in or out of the keyed slots in the
floor is a task that never takes less than five minutes, and frequently
involves giving up and undoing one or more wingnuts entirely, then
reattaching after getting a hernia or slipping a disk getting the awkward,
heavy, and simultaneously floppy seat out of the van.

Has anyone improved on this?  Am I missing some important part of the
system that makes the chore less burdensome?  I seem to install and remove
the seat at least twice a year, and always misestimate the time, effort and
contortion required...

As it is, it's a powerful argument for having a corvan (or rampside) to
haul things, and a greenbrier to haul people.  Unfortunately, I don't have
room to stash a second FC...

Rad Davis:                                        rad.davis at comcast.net
Corvairs--65, 66 Corsa coupes, '65 'brier Deluxe   http://www.corvair.org/
Keeper of the Forward Control Corvair Primer:
http://www.mindspring.com/~corvair/fc1.html
"We did Nebraska in seven minutes today. I think that's probably the best
way to do Nebraska."                            --Brian Shul, _Sled Driver_