[FC] LED taillights

Rad Davis rad.davis at comcast.net
Sun Aug 13 23:50:06 EDT 2006

I think this has to do with the Fresnel lens molded into the lenses on
FCs.  The design depends on all the light coming from a single location
(the filament) and radiating all directions from that point.

The LED bulb replacements I've seen all have the LEDs arranged on a
plane.  All their light is directed in a very limited arc, and a maximum of
two or three LEDs might be close enough to the focal point of the lens to
do any good at all.

There are better options out there, and I'm hoping to put something
together to address the scary dimness of our tail lights in relation to the
scarily increasing dimness of the cell-phone wielding hordes sharing the
roads with our Corvairs.