[FC] fuel pump

Wild8bill at aol.com Wild8bill at aol.com
Wed Dec 6 11:53:15 EST 2006

I replaced my failing fuel pump with an electric one about 6 months ago,
problem solved. New problem started: the pump failed on me a few weeks ago, and
I replaced it with a lower pressure pump, because I thought it failed so
quickly  due to it being a higher pressure pump than the engine needed. The new
pump got  me home just fine, but after sitting for a few weeks, the rampy idles
fine once  started, but after driving a few blocks, sputters and dies.

>I'm asuming it isn't getting gas into the carbs fast enough to  compenstae
for the fuel used<

My question is: what is the proper fuel pump pressure for a corvair 110
engine? The pumps that I used are universal fit electronic pumps, the higher
pressure one is 5-8psi and the lower one is 2-4psi. I can't find a reference to
this in any of my books or parts' supplier catalogs.

Other question: I purchased a float from a big vendor to replace one that
had pin holes in it, the one that came wasn't in much better shape. Are there
new ones available, or is there a fix, such as using gas tank sealer, to rehab
the old ones? I'm aware of the soldering method, but I'm not sure what type
of  flux or solder to use, or how much heat.

Bill
'61 rampside
'63 greenbrier