[FC] fuel pump

Bill Wells brierpath at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 6 12:16:24 EST 2006

Bill,

  The pump units I use I got at Autozone. They are the low pressure, import car version and are cylindrical in shape. They sort of look like a Corsa turbo gas filter. I cannot hear it unless my carbs are dry and it is working hard to fill them. I carry a spare, but have not had a failure. I have removed the little, square, transformer-looking pumps from many old parts cars. They all made noise, but would not pump.

  I have sealed leaky floats by dipping them in POR-15.

  Good Luck,
  Bill Wells
  61 Ramp
  62 Brier
  65 Corsa

Wild8bill at aol.com wrote:
  I replaced my failing fuel pump with an electric one about 6 months ago,
problem solved. New problem started: the pump failed on me a few weeks ago, and
I replaced it with a lower pressure pump, because I thought it failed so
quickly due to it being a higher pressure pump than the engine needed. The new
pump got me home just fine, but after sitting for a few weeks, the rampy idles
fine once started, but after driving a few blocks, sputters and dies.

>I'm asuming it isn't getting gas into the carbs fast enough to compenstae
for the fuel used<

My question is: what is the proper fuel pump pressure for a corvair 110
engine? The pumps that I used are universal fit electronic pumps, the higher
pressure one is 5-8psi and the lower one is 2-4psi. I can't find a reference to
this in any of my books or parts' supplier catalogs.

Other question: I purchased a float from a big vendor to replace one that
had pin holes in it, the one that came wasn't in much better shape. Are there
new ones available, or is there a fix, such as using gas tank sealer, to rehab
the old ones? I'm aware of the soldering method, but I'm not sure what type
of flux or solder to use, or how much heat.

Bill
'61 rampside
'63 greenbrier