[FC] vacuum advance question

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sun Dec 10 09:39:30 EST 2006

In a message dated 12/10/2006 1:11:44 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
Wild8bill at aol.com writes:

After  setting the timing using a timing light, I noticed that when I rev
the
engine that the timing retards very far very fast (from 14 btdc to -4  btdc),

and kind of "catches up" to where it should be over a few  seconds. The
vacuum advance appears to move instantaneously,  however. If you give it too
much
gas too fast, it dies. Is this a  symptom of a bad vacuum advance, or bad
vacuum?  Yes, I did check for  vac leaks.

Hi Bill,
by -4btdc, I assume you mean 4 atdc. Is that correct? If so, it looks like
the timing is being retarded instead of advanced. Could you possibly have the
dist weights installed backwards?  That would cause it.  Also, for a  double
check, just disconnect the vac line and plug it.Then see what the timing  is.

Regards,
Bob Helt