[FC] help needed with engine ID....

Merv Krull krupross at sunwave.net
Wed Dec 20 00:58:42 EST 2006

Hi folks!

Recent discussion reminded me of my dilemma with engine ID on my 62 Greenbrier with a 4 speed manual transmission.

It has a transplanted car engine with the code T0416YN.

>From Bob Helt's Classic Corvair book, that means it can be a:

61 98 hp manual transmission with 9:1 compression ratio
or
62 or 63 102 hp manual transmission
or
64 110 hp manual transmission

Coincidentally, Bob used the code T0420YN as an example in the same book. My engine would have been built 4 days before his identical example, which he indicates is a 64 110hp manual transmission.

However, mine has a solid pulley instead of a harmonic balancer, so that might eliminate the possibility of it being a 64 unless a PO stuck one on when the old rubber one crapped out.

Is there another way to determine what engine I have stuck in there?

thanx and Merry Toodles!
Merv Krull
Salmon Arm, BC