[FC] Starter issues

Charles r75 at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 14 00:40:08 EST 2006

Ok, so it's like this:

Engine off, ignition off, van stationary. Transmission in neutral (also
depress clutch pedal out of habit), turn ignition on and the starter
spins but does not engage (can also engage momentarily and then
disengage). Now turn off the ignition and put transmission into any gear
and foot off clutch pedal. I don't have to be on a grade, I can actually
simply lurch my body forward in the seat enough to slightly budge the
van. This movement would only put a ripple in a cup of water. Now put in
neutral and depress clutch pedal and turn ignition on to fire the
starter and voila - proper engagement. Not 1005 effective but enough to
surmise that it is most definitely changing something.

I'm convinced it is the starter itself but I don't know to what extent.
The main question for me is the peculiarity of why the weight shifting
would make any difference. As I mentioned, I am somewhat mechanically
challenged and not entirely clear on all of the operational parameters
of a starter unit. I think I know what's going on but takes way too many
words to explain. Briefly, the starter's drive gear (the one which
drives the ring gear on the pressure plate) is not being thrown into
drive position with enough force. For what reason I don't yet know but
this would fit with most of the possible theories which have been suggested.

I'd like to thank everyone for helping out with this as it has been a
puzzler for me. It's too cold here right now to remove the starter for
diagnosis but I'll post the results as soon as they are revealed.

- Charles