[FC] re: Starter issues

Bill Wells brierpath at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 14 09:44:44 EST 2006

Folks,

  From the description below, it just sounds like a weak solenoid. Corrosion or a bad winding or lots of resistance in the ignition switch or the big purple wire to the solenoid.

  Thanks,
  Bill Wells

  From: Charles
  To: The Corvanatics list
  Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 12:40 AM
  Subject: Re: [FC] Starter issues

  Ok, so it's like this:

  Engine off, ignition off, van stationary. Transmission in neutral
(also
  depress clutch pedal out of habit), turn ignition on and the starter
  spins but does not engage (can also engage momentarily and then
  disengage). Now turn off the ignition and put transmission into any
gear
  and foot off clutch pedal. I don't have to be on a grade, I can
actually
  simply lurch my body forward in the seat enough to slightly budge the
  van. This movement would only put a ripple in a cup of water. Now put
in
  neutral and depress clutch pedal and turn ignition on to fire the
  starter and voila - proper engagement. Not 1005 effective but enough
  surmise that it is most definitely changing something.

  I'm convinced it is the starter itself but I don't know to what
extent.
  The main question for me is the peculiarity of why the weight
shifting
  would make any difference. As I mentioned, I am somewhat mechanically
  challenged and not entirely clear on all of the operational
parameters
  of a starter unit. I think I know what's going on but takes way too
many
  words to explain. Briefly, the starter's drive gear (the one which
  drives the ring gear on the pressure plate) is not being thrown into
  drive position with enough force. For what reason I don't yet know
but
  this would fit with most of the possible theories which have been
suggested.

  I'd like to thank everyone for helping out with this as it has been a
  puzzler for me. It's too cold here right now to remove the starter
for
  diagnosis but I'll post the results as soon as they are revealed.

  - Charles