[FC] Starter issues

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 14 17:20:40 EST 2006

Spins, but doesn't engage -- sounds like the electrics work -- if the
solenoid isn't engaging fully, the starter motor doesn't get turned on

my money (as if I had any) is on a bad overrunning clutch in the starter
drive, and just happenstance that it seems to catch when it's 'bumped' ...

that, or the description of the problem isn't 100% accurate just because
the trouble isn't fully understood -- time to pull the starter and have
it inspected by someone knowledable.   Dale don't ship units with a bad
ring gear (well I suppose it *could* have broke, but I wouldn't put any
money on that theory)

Bill.