[FC] Found a Lakewood

Jim Forgey jforgey4 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 26 14:36:05 EST 2006

Hi everyone,

I have found a 61 Lakewood 700 in Meriden CT. The body
of the vehicle is in almost perfect condition - I saw
no rust - the interior other than the headliner is
excellent - all original.  It has been repainted and
undercoated by the current ( 2nd ) owner and he did a
pretty good job.

I am seriously considering buying the vehicle but
would appreciate some input on the following,

The car has not been driven for about 3 years - I
believe it has been started.. the engine turns but
does not turn over although the owner says he can
start it buy pouring gas in the carbs - he says there
is a problem with one of the cylinders as the engine
was skipping last time he drove it. He believes there
is carbon build up on this cylinder - any thoughts.

I know the brakes will need to be completely done
over- bearings repacked, there was a small drip spot
under the transmission ( PG ) other than checking the
trans. fluid and making sure it has lubrication what
else should I look for with a PG?

He put a new gas tank in 3 years ago but the car has
old ( bad ) gas in it.  Is there cause for concern on
the tank?

I am not a mechanic by any means but have learned some
things in the past year with my Greenbrier , although
I bought that in excellent running condition.

This would be a chance to really learn alot and
probably come out with a really great fun car - but I
know there are things to watch out for - any thoughts
or help would be welcome.

Jim Forgey
64 Greenbrier